Thursday, June 7, 2018

8A – Solving The Problem

Study on Average Restaurant Wait Times

Restaurants with new technology now offer ways to make the "check out"  process much more convenient for customers and wait staff. Yet, most restaurants have not implemented ways to effectively engage customers during valuable time spent waiting. These wait times are valuable not only from the perspective of a customers time, but the missing link that can hold significant value to a bottom line. Specifically, I am talking about the effectiveness of sales during high wait times. In the research stage, I found that restaurants have wait lists of 6.6 hours per week, with parties waiting close to half an hour to an hour on average. So what's the missing piece?

Looking further into my research, I was able to identify a need to improve the "check in" process for the restaurant industry. I came across review sites, general hours of operations and times that restaurants are busy. After looking for concepts that would resemble this idea for all I knew could already be out there, I found that my concept provides a solution. Through these stages, I read several articles about the customers experience at restaurants. In 2013 a survey that was taken of 267 restaurants by a leading technology supplier designed to enhance the guest experience called Long Range Systems (LRS), the chart below are the results of their findings according to FSR Magazine.




In the stages of my personal analysis, I studied my own preferences along with the individuals that participated in my hypothesis. As for me, on average I will be more inclined to put myself on a waiting list at a restaurant but that typically is just a place holder. I found that I've adopted a strategy to avoid waiting. Here's how, after I put my name on the list, while waiting, I will call  alternative dining establishments close by to find out if they currently have a wait. Most often, I will  leave a restaurant for a less involved wait time if the opportunity presents itself. Though this strategy is not for everyone, most people do develop subconscious methods to manage time in order to prioritize their everyday lives.
  

Ultimate Solution for Fast Casual Dining

The idea came to mind after thought of my own dining process which led me to the curiosity of my own beliefs. The more I thought about time efficiency and the basic needs of eating, I've developed an idea that I believe. Not only have I identified a way to help people save time, find food and offer convenience. I have identified a solution that will allow me to provide a cost effective product to the restaurant industry. It's simple, at the end of the day most people don't like wasting time or money.

The Wait List App: The idea is to eliminate wait times at dining establishments through my prototype, The Wait List. The app will be designed to increase sales and customer satisfaction by allowing customers to reserve a table with participating establishments in a given arrival time maximum, notify the restaurant that a "party of 4 " is on the way, request a section, request a server, check for bar seating, check for pet friendly, check for entertainment, check for specials, check for coupons, check for private dining and carry out ordering. The app requires a partnership with a chain of restaurants, for example Darden is the local franchiser for Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze, Long Horn etc. The app will also partner with mom and pop restaurants and independent diners. A profile for users will be the build of the platform to best categorizes their wants and pairing with the need. These features will include the type of dining to locate in a timely manner. These features may include business casual,  providing optional reservations for business meetings ( lunches or dinners ), family dining, budget friendly dining, dinner for two, carry out ordering, special occasions (birthday), private dining, just the girls or just the guys are a few that I have drafted. The idea is one that will help restaurants identify foot traffic (potential sales) with capabilities to provide time efficient service, increase sales and improve bottom lines. The app targets participating dining establishments based on a category and GPS model to help costumers locate time efficient restaurant options. Through this concept I have identified a technology service and industry product. The Wait List App, a user friendly landscape designed by subscriber criteria based on selected preferences through use of the application.


1 comment:

  1. Natali,
    I think that your app would be very beneficial. My family and I went to a restaurant last week for my mom's birthday and we had nine people total. We waited for an hour, by that time we were all very hungry, kids were antsy, and some were losing patience. We even called ahead and it still took that long. Needless to say, this app would be great for customers. I'm unsure of similar apps, if there are any. But, I think that would be beneficial to research.

    Brandi Gibbs

    ReplyDelete