Thursday, June 21, 2018

14-A Halfway Reflection




Tenacity & Paying It Forward 

I. Tenaciousness & Competency- what behaviors have I used or developed to keep up with the requirements of this class?

 The study of entrepreneurship has challenged my endurance and required a significant amount of dedication throughout the studies and lectures of this course. At times I have found myself disappointed when I have not met a deadline. This has conditioned me to remain resilient and optimistic through the demands of meeting deadlines in all classes over the course of this semester. Much like experiences of an everyday entrepreneur, this class has required me to identify, prevent and solve problems. Planning ahead for course criteria has allowed me to prioritize tasks, however an important step that I have fallen short on at times when technical issues and unforeseen time lags limiting my ability to complete assignments, I've developed behaviors that result in the details of managing my time appropriately to complete assignments. Learning objectives are more comprehensive to me when I complete assignments early rather than the day of or on time. Technical issues have taught me to prepare my agendas with backup plans at times when technology has a large impact on my overall performance and at times when I  have had many assignments due.

II. Tenacious Attitude- experiences where I've felt like "giving up" and how my attitude has helped me "pull through."

No doubt, this course has challenged my ability to persevere and is one that requires relentless focus. The tasks probe perspectives requiring me to adapt to uncomfortable situations for deliverable results. At times when things have not gone as anticipated, I've channeled my focus by reminding myself that much like entrepreneurship this course is a test of my capabilities. Looking back, I have not experienced a time where I've wanted to give up. However, I felt overcome by deadlines. An example of a time where this occurred was when I made the commitment to go to my nephews graduation and I had more work to complete for this class the day of this event. I questioned my core values to evaluate a decision made between family and the amount of time I had to complete my assignments. As I reflect on the outcomes of my decision, I realize that though the assignments are fairly simple, they do require a great deal of thought and time to fully complete each task. My attitude can help me achieve great things through courage and passion in this class or hinder my motivation if I allow it to. To keep a positive perspective and will to succeed, I have become more aware of areas that need personal improvement requiring greater attention to detail in order to complete what is expected while fulfilling personal commitments that require patience and perseverance while holding myself responsible for any shortcomings.


III. Three Tips for Adopting a Tenacious Mindset- what skills have I fostered?

The workload of this course requires disciplined  processes that are very self reflective and can be difficult to complete tasks for each activity if realistic planning for analytical thoughts are not in place. The material taught in class lectures are just as critically important as the applications of assignments which can be time intensive.

These three take aways have enabled me to foster new skills and learning outcomes:

1. Be prepared for video lectures to require full attention. Often times, questions from the lectures will present themselves in other areas of the course.

2. Be flexible with buffering lag times and technical difficulties when it comes to the video lectures. In some cases this can absorb additional time often not factored into study plans. I have found it helpful to watch videos from start to finish and move right on to the assignments.

3. Give yourself extra time on every assignment for this course, waiting until the day of to complete the exercises is not in your best interest. Personally, I have missed deadlines with full intention and excitement to complete them only to learn the assignments require time to think and evaluate things from a self reflective stand point which can be difficult with limited time.











1 comment:

  1. You have provided a very insightful, delightful post about this class! I can tell you "dug deep" to provide very useful information for future students. I can definitely agree regarding your comments about time management, which means planning for completion of these assignments (as tedious as they can seem). Additionally, I also agree the lectures are just as important as the assignments... I also feel the lectures are easy to watch, which makes it a little more bearable for me to get through the course!

    ReplyDelete